A proper diet can significantly reduce the chance of getting cancer.
By epidemiological studies and by direct trials, much evidence has by now been gathered about the cancer prevention effects of certain diet measures, of specific food sources and of specific supplements of natural substances.
GENERAL DIET ADVICES
A diet with the aim of preventing cancer is generally the same as a diet to prevent heart disease and other diseases. Here are the general diet advices
- Avoid or reduce the amount of food that are industrially processed, artificially made or heavily fried.
- Eat fish at least every second day. Also eat seafood and fouls.
- Do not eat very much red meat.
- Eat 5 fruits or vegetables each day. Each piece should be of the size of an apple or carrot. They should be raw or carefully boiled so that the nutrients are not washed out.
- Eat full corn bread, full corn cereals, peas, beans and potatoes.
- Eat just a moderate amount of fat.
- Ideally most fat you eat, should be of the type mono-unsaturated. You also need some poly-unsaturated fat of the types omega-3, and omega 6, but not too much of omega-6. The consumption of saturated fat should be moderate.
- In order to achieve right fat balance, much of the fat supply should come from a blending of sources like olive, olive oil, canola oil, nuts, nut oil, sunflower, sunflower oil, fish and fish oil.
- Use only a moderate amount of soy oil and corn oil in the diet. Only using such oil types will give you too muchmuch poly-unsaturated fat of the omega-6-type.
- Use just a very moderate amount of fat sources like butter, coconut oil and palm oil. A high consumption of these fat sources gives you too much saturated fat.
- Avoid altogether fat that has been chemically altered, giving so-called trans-fat. This type of fat is often found in margarine, cookies, snacks, fast food and other pre-made food.
- Consume just a very moderate amount of sugar, refined flour or refined cereals.
- Consume just a moderate consumption of tranquilizers and stimulants like alcohol and caffeine.
- Use just a moderate amount of salt in the food. However, in warm weather and by hard physical work, you will need more salt.
SPECIFIC FOODS AND DRINKS TO USE
Generally plants, fruits and spices with a strong colour or a strong taste have cancer preventing effects because of the contents of bioflavonoid and other anti-oxidants.
Broccoli, cabbage, mustard, kale, and cauliflower are vegetables with proven strong cancer preventing effects, probably due to the content of indole-3-carbinole.
Onion and garlic are also thought to help prevent cancer.
Whole grain and bread made of whole grain will help prevent colon cancer because of the fibre content and possibly also because of the vitamins and minerals contained.
Red peppers give a protecting effect against prostate cancer.
Eating fish, and especially fat fish, some times each week also have a protecting effect against prostate cancer.
Evidence points to the conclusion that green tea can help prevent cancer. However studies so far undertaken do not sort out all other variables that may give the same result.
Some studies have indicated that drinking coffee reduces the incidence of cancer, but others studies have thrown doubt upon these results.
SUPPLEMENTS OF VITAMINS AND OTHER SUBSTANCES
Her are listed the most important cancer preventing effects suggested by results from recent projects. However, research is going on, and these results are not yet complete or absolutely certain.
These substances give general cancer prevention effects: Sulforaphanes found in broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables.
Colo-rectal cancer: These substances help protect against colo-rectal cancer: Vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), Folic acid / folate in combination with other B-vitamins, Selenium, Indol-3-carbinol from cruciferous vegetables, Genistein from soy, and possibly also vitamin D. Alfa-tocoferol (a kind of Vitamin E) may help, but project results are not conclusive jet.
Gastric cancer: Substances that may help prevent gastric cancer, and even help cure changes that can evolve into gastric cancer are: Vitamin C, Beta-carotene, (a precursor of vitamin A), Alfa-tocoferol (a kind of Vitamin E), Indol-3-carbinol from cruciferous vegetables, Genistein from soy.
Breast Cancer: The incidence of breast cancer can be lowered by: Folic acid / folate, Vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), Selenium, and possibly vitamin D.
Prostate Cancer: These substances may help protect against Prostate cancer: Selenium and Alfa-tocoferol (a kind of Vitamin E). A long study is under way, but the results from the study are not conclusive yet.
Bladder cancer: The chance of getting bladder cancer is possibly lowered by alfa-tocoferol (a kind of Vitamin E).
Lung cancer: Substances that gives protection against Lung Cancer are: Isoflavones from soy. Indol-3-carbinol from broccoli and other crusiferous vegetables, Genistein from soy and possibly Vitamin D.
Results from research projects suggest that supplements added to the diet to prevent cancer should contain many working substances derived from natural sources, and that it is not wise to use heavy doses of just one substance.
NUTRIENTS THAT MAY HAVE THE OPPOSITE EFFECT
Beta-carotene and vitamin A supplements may increase the chance for heavy smokers of getting lung cancer and other cancers caused by smoking, according to results from epidemiologic studies.
However, these vitamins in the food doe not increase this risk. It is not clear what effect beta-carotene have on lung cancer in combination with other supplements or by non-smokers. The results from these studies are also controversial.
Vitamin E supplements seem to protect against Cancer, but heavy vitamin E amounts may in fact increase the chance of getting heart problems and stroke.
You can read more about food supplements and cancer prevention at these sites:
The Cancer Project: http://www.cancerproject.org
National Centre for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion:
Knut Holt is an internet consultant and marketer focusing on health items. ----For natural products against common diseases: Over-weight, acne, eczema, hypothyroidism, fatigue, depression, hemorrhoids, joint pain, hypertension, high cholesterol, circulatory problems, digestive ailments, allergies, menstrual problems, respiratory diseases and more:-----
For supplements to prevent disease:------
Knut Holt is an internet consultant and marketer focusing on health items. Please see his web-site for natural erotic products, natural drugs to solve mens and womens problems, anti-aging products and products against common ailments, for example digestive trouble, haemorrhoids, hypothyroidism, edema, over-weight, acne, circulation impairments, urinary problems and more:---- http://www.panteraconsulting.com
View all articles by Knut Holt